Thursday, August 28, 2014

Broken Dishes and God's Provision

A little over a year ago, my sister-in-law and I went on a shopping trip for new dishes. My brother was on a ride-a-long for the police academy, my parents were at a Sunday school social, and Kacie and I decided to shop Dillard's huge clearance sale. Kacie and Thomas had just gotten married and I was in the process of buying a new house so this sale was the perfect time to buy new dishes for our respective houses.

To make a long story short, on the way home we were involved in a 6 vehicle accident with a drunk driver. My car was totaled after being rear ended by a semi truck. When I think back on the moment just prior to and following the accident, everything still seems so surreal. From the moment I knew we were going to be in the accident until the moment I got out of my own car, everything seemed to move in slow motion and warp speed at the same time if that makes any sense. The short story is that my car was totaled but Kacie and I were ok. While we were both sore for several weeks, neither of us sustained serious injuries. Kacie was pregnant at the time and after a check at the hospital the doctor's confirmed the baby was ok as well.

Once the dust and adrenaline began to settle around the accident, I remembered my dishes. My new beautiful red and turquoise dishes in the crumpled trunk of my car that were surely smashed to a billion pieces. The funny thing is, when my Dad went to retrieve the contents of my car the next day we were shocked to find that with the exception of a few bowls and a plate, the majority of the dishes were ok. A totaled car with a crumpled up trunk and busted out window and two sets of dishes almost completely intact. That's because the car did it's job. That metal frame is designed to protect its content. It's designed to take the force of the impact and distribute it in such a way that everything inside remains safe.

Over this last year, I've felt like those fragile dishes more than a few times. I've felt like the impact and weight of life's situations might be to much. I've questioned God on his plans for my life and I've failed to trust him more than one time. I've said "No way God! This is too much. I don't want to walk this path, I don't want to serve here, I don't want to be stretched like this." And time and time again he's shown his provision. He's shown that HIS grace is sufficient. That yes, apart from him I can't do it on my own. Apart from him, I break and shatter like those dishes when dropped or hit against the counter. But, when I draw close to him, when I press into that relationship with him, I'm covered by his provision and his protection.

Now, I know that a relationship with God does NOT equal an easy problem free life. I would actually argue that a Christian may face more persecution and trials while following after the Savior. But the beautiful thing about that is this- If I have a personal relationship with the Father, this world is NOT my home. This is not all there is. This is not where my hope lies. My hope lies in that moment when I will spend all eternity with the Savior. And when that is my focus, all the problems of this life seem a little less burdensome. I know that doesn't make them easy. I know that there will still be times when I feel like that dish in the crumpled up trunk. When the impact of my decisions and the decisions of those around me will almost seem to be too much to bear. But, when I'm able to press in close to the Father, I don’t have to take that impact. He is there providing his grace, provision, and protection just like that metal car did during the accident.

Even though it's been a year since the accident, I still have to laugh about those dishes. The chances that any of them survived after being hit by a semi truck is still crazy to me. But sometimes that's how our God works. He takes a situation that we see as hopeless and lost, and he makes it new. He heals and he restores. He clothes and he protects. Every day I put my trust in a piece of metal to protect me as I drive down the road. I don't even have to think about that. I get in the car, turn it on, put it in reverse, and back out of my driveway trusting that the car is going to protect me on my drive to work. No second thoughts. No doubts on the job and function of that car. Why on earth do I question and not trust the one that sent his son to die for my sins so that I can spend eternity with him? Why do I think that I somehow know better than the creator of the universe. Why do I think I can trust him with this part of my life but not this part. Why don't I trust him to do the things he's already said he will do? Why? Why? Why?

I want to wake up every day and trust whole heartedly. I want to be those dishes in the trunk, knowing that no matter what struggle or trial comes my way, no matter the force of the impact, there is one who is greater than all those things! There is one who has provided his strength, his protection, his grace, and his provision. If I can just press in close and raise my eyes a little higher toward eternity, I can be those dishes. I can rest in the safety of his arms. I can get hit and not break.

Luke 12:27- Consider how the wild flowers grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these

Matthew 6:31-32 Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all.


Luke 12:24 “Consider the ravens: they neither sow nor reap, they have neither storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds!”

No comments:

Post a Comment