Monday, February 2, 2015

One Year Later.

A year ago my life changed forever. A year ago, what seemed to be a normal evening turned into a night that I will never forget, not because of anything I did, but because we serve a God who has mighty plans and who chooses to use his people where he has them planted.

 

A year ago, I was at a candidate forum to support my grandpa who was running for a second term as county commissioner. I was back at the community center in my hometown and had jokingly made the comment to my mom about the "joys" of living close to home again and being able to attend events like this.

 

Several minutes into the forum, a gentleman went into cardiac arrest. In those first few seconds, it takes your brain some time to realize what's happening. People quickly began yelling for a doctor or nurse but it didn't appear that there were any in the room. One thing that sticks out in my mind about those first few moments is the look my mom gave me. It was a look that said "you have to do something" with no words at all.

 

And that's where God began to work. If you know anything about me, you know I'm a physical therapist. My daily job duties don't typically include emergency situations but by the grace of God I had learned CPR in PT School.

 

I honestly don't remember deciding to get up and help, as soon as I saw my mom's look, my body was already moving. I soon realized, beginning CPR was the only option in the situation and despite the fear running through my body, somehow that training took over.

 

Thankfully the volunteer fire department arrived on the scene after what seemed like hours of CPR  and had the gentleman talking before he left for the hospital.

 

I don't like to tell this story very often because I don't like the attention that it sometimes brings. I wanted to share it on the blog with you all today for a few reasons 1) because you have so graciously allowed me to be open and honest without fear of judgement since beginning this blog and most importantly 2) I wanted to share with you what GOD did that night.

 

You see, God didn't leave me to initiate CPR on my own until the fire department arrived. As he so often does for us, he provided me with two other people right there with me, to carry the load, and to help perform the CPR. Those two people, Katie and Ken played as much of a role in that night as I did and I will never be able to thank them enough for what they did to help.

 

Isn't that amazing? One of the most beautiful things about this life is that God doesn't require us to go at it alone. He ALWAYS places people in our lives at the exact right moment to carry the burden and ease the load. He definitely did that for me that night and has continued to work out a new friendship with Katie these last few months. In something that started so horribly, God has brought a rich blessing of friendship to my life. 

 

God also equipped me with the tools I would need that night. Several months before the candidate forum, the community center had purchased and AED. I am convinced that without that machine, the night would have had a much different ending. Aren't you glad that God provides us with the tools we need for each and every situation we will face in life? Ephesians 6 tells us of the full armor of God. I'm so glad that I don't have to go out into battle empty handed.

 

Looking back another thing I've realized about that night is that God had been preparing me for that exact moment long before I had to start CPR that night. Not only had I taken CPR in PT school, but miraculously that training had come back to me in that moment.


I also looked back over the verses I had read in the days and weeks leading up to that night, and I again saw God's provision in equipping me for one of the most terrifying situations of my life through his own words of strength and provision.

 

Psalm 73:21-24- Nevertheless I am continually with You; You have taken hold of my right hand. With Your counsel You will guide me, and afterward receive me in glory (Read 1/23/14)

 

Psalm 116:5-9- Gracious is the Lord, and righteous; Yes our God is compassionate. The Lord preserves the simple; I was brought low, and he saved me. Return to your rest, oh my soul, for the Lord has dealt bountifully with you. For you have rescued my soul from death, my eyes from tears, my feet from stumbling. I shall walk before the Lord knows the land of the living. (Read 1/25/14)

 

Isaiah 40:13- For I am the Lord your God, who upholds your right hand, who says to you, do not fear, I will help you.

 

And then, as if God hadn't already done enough in providing help, providing the tools needed, and preparing me in advance, he went ahead and outdid himself by allowing me the opportunity the next day to meet and get to know the man He had saved that night. When I think back on that night, that's the part that brings me to tears. That's the part that brings me to my knees and causes me to realize how unworthy I am and how good God is. He definitely didn't have to do that, but that's what he does ladies and gentlemen. He is that good, he gives us what we don't deserve, he showers blessings that are beyond what we can comprehend and he uses us in unlikely situations.

 

Like I said earlier, I don't tell this story a lot, mostly because I don't want it to be an example or a story about what I did. I want it to be a story about what God did. And what he wants to do in each of our lives. I know that sometimes the story doesn't always play out like it did that night, people don't always make it but what is true is that God is ALWAYS good. He is ALWAYS in control and he is ALWAYS working.

 

If you don't remember anything else I've said, please remember that. Remember that God is ALWAYS working and he wants to use you where you are. He created you to live a full life and he created you with a purpose that only YOU can fulfill. Don't forget that. Don't let fear or doubt rob you of what God wants to do in and through you in that situation.

 

He is a good and faithful God, I know that for sure. I know that when the situation seems impossible, when life and death are at the door, he is there. He is there, providing the provision for you in the moment, never leaving you or forsaking you, or expecting you to figure it out on your own.

 

I don't know what you're dealing with in your life today and I don't know what God's calling you too, but I do know that He loves you and he wants to use you. He is ready to walk hand in hand with you into whatever situation is before you. Keep your chin up and remember, he just might lead you into a situation that changes your whole life.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment